Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Final P-day at the MTC! Week 7

Dear Family and Friends As you may have expected, this has been a great week. If you have not yet heard, Elder Miller and myself got the news that we will be leaving the M.T.C. two weeks earlier than expected. This means that this is my last Preparation Day in the MTC. Elder Miller and myself will be flying to Paris on Monday the 13th of August, where we will board a plane that flies from France to St. Denis, La Réunion. I have faith that I am ready enough to be a missionary there. I've been so blessed here in the MTC to have great companions, great leaders, and great companions. When I look back at the time that I have spent in the MTC, it feels like I haven't been here for very long, but that I have grown from a state of spiritual infancy into something that feels much greater than what I started with. Not only have the things that I have learned and felt expanded my aspirations for my mission, they have also inspired me beyond the next two years. Up till this point, I would estimate that my companions and I have taught approximately sixty gospel lessons in French. My French has definitely come a long way. Within days of arriving I felt like I was speaking better French than I ever had in high school. The progress than I have made is great, but that's not to say that I consider myself to be fluent in any way; I still have very much to learn. Both our teachers, Brothers Eric LePrètre and Dallin Wilcox, have been excellent, and have helped me so much. It's been an enormous blessing to have one of my teachers be a native French speaker. There's definitely a lot on my mind right now. I wonder about who my first companion in the field will be and what he's like. I think that he probably already knows that I am coming to serve with him. I wonder about what the work will be like, what the members will be like, and what the French will be like. I have come to realize that I know very little about this island that I'm going to or about the 800,000 people who live there. That's okay, I like suprises. Mom, you asked me about my trip in your latest DearElder. I'll try to answer those questions now. Elder Miller and myself are the only two missionaries in our travel group. Dad, you guessed our travel schedule exactly. We will be flying from Salt Lake City to Paris starting at around 5:00 p.m. on Monday. We will arrive in Paris at around 11:00 a.m. Tuesday morning after which we will wait for eight hours in the airport. I assume that we are expected to stay in the airport. At around 7:00 p.m., we will depart from Paris to St. Dénis, La Réunion. We will arrive around 11:00 a.m. Wednesday morning. During my voyage, I will cross the Prime Meridian, the Tropic of Cancer, the Equator, and then land near the Tropic of Capricorn. Well, I don't know what else to say besides that I love you all and that I know that this Church is true. Every missionary is blessed by your thoughts and by your prayers. I know that my mission is for the Lord and I assure you that there is nothing else that I would rather be doing at this time in my life. Hold down the fort while I'm away. I love you all Elder Wynn

No comments:

Post a Comment