Monday, September 3, 2012

Week 3-St. Pierre, La Reunion

Dear Family and Friends I love you all, I will only be answering questions this week. Here are the answers to your questions: I am allowed to email any family members. I got that thing that you sent from DearElder, but didn't fill it out because the format was super confusing, normal emails are probably the better option. I am not usually able to print out my emails. I will definitely enjoy getting letters as well as emails, even if they are a week or two old; mail here for letters is apparently suprisingly fast more often than not. I will do my best to respond to as many letters as I can, but I can't promise that I will be able to answer every one. I haven't heard about any major problems with mail from the other missionaries, I have heard that things occasionally take a couple weeks extra to arrive, but that shouldn't be a big problem. I'll send you my St. Pièrre address as soon as we fix our mailbox, until then, mail anything to the Le Port address that I sent in last week's email. It is not necessary to put France at the end of the address, but if you do, it will still come here. Like I said, the week was a little frustrating, but I still think that things are going positively. We went from having four people with baptism dates to having zero, which was too bad. One of our investigators still wants to get baptized, but we're moving his date back because he is extremely shy and doesn't feel ready. His name is Jeannick. Each companionship of missionaries in La Réunion drives a white Toyota Yaris. They are all manual transmissions and are all diesel. Ours is pretty worn out, but we just heard today that they will be replacing the older cars with new ones this week, which means that we will be getting a new car soon. I expect the same make, model, and color. Our area is very large and most of our appointments are really spread out, so if we are not tracting, we almost always drive. We haven't done a whole ton of tracting this week, but I expect we will be tracting quite a bit in the few weeks to come. So far, we tracted the most during the first week that I was here. The people are most often friendly, or at least polite, but not very often are they interested. Church attendance was a little better this week, but there is lots of work to do. We set a baptism date with Gerville during a lesson that was extremely spiritual for all three of us, probably one of the most inspiring experiences of the mission so far, but soon after that lesson he stopped answering our phone calls and disappeared. I expect that his family was unsupportive of his decision. This was frustrating, but I know that he has felt the Spirit and that he knows the Book of Mormon is true. I hope that he will come in contact with the missionaries and with the Gospel of Jesus Christ again. The language is going better and better each day. I feel like I usually understand both French and Creole if I pay attention, and my ability to speak both languages is moving forward. I make it a goal to speak more every day. Not all missionaries learn to speak Creole, because the majority of Creole people speak French as well, but I want to learn to speak both high quality French as well as Creole. We can see the ocean from outside our appartment, but not from our appartment. St. Piérre is gorgeous though. I'm taking lots of pictures and will send more next week. We cannot see the Volcano from where we are, but it's technically in our area, so I expect to see it sometime soon. We usually spend our Prep. Days with some of the other missionaries on the island, usally the missionaries from Le Port (Elder Miller and Milot) and some of the other missionaries from other areas. Our appartment is nice, not new but nice. We have a washer but no dryer. We hang dry all of our clothes. There are geckos on our walls that come out at night to catch mosquitos. We do a lot of our own cooking, but this week we are booked with dinner appointments; I don't know if it will be like this often, because the branch is not huge, but this week we will be blessed. Creole food usually includes rice, some sort of meat and vegetables, and Piment, which are very hot tiny peppers. People here eat a ton of baguettes as well. This place is definitely French. We have a shower-bath combo. The Heaps are from Ogden. Most of the members here and Elder Twitchell know Elder Rellaford. Elder Rellaford left the day that Elder Twitchell got here and served in St. Piérre about eighteen months ago. The Church is true, I love you, and will talk to you next week! Carpe Diem Elder Wynn

No comments:

Post a Comment