Monday, September 17, 2012

Week 5: Pres. Adams & Elder Carl B. Cook's visit

Dear Family and Friends It has been another great week in St. Pièrre. I'll get right to the good. This last Friday our mission President flew in from Madagascar for a Zone Conference in St. Denis. He was accompanied by Sister Adams, Elder Carl B. Cook of the Seventy, and Sister Cook. The Conference went great and it was especially good to see President Adams for the first time since the MTC. It was also good to see all of the missionaries on the island, but to be honest we see everyone fairly often with there only being twelve of us. The conference started at 8h00 on Friday morning, so Elder Twitchell and I drove up the night before to stay with the Zone Leaders because it takes around an hour and a half to get from St. Pièrre to St. Denis without morning traffic. Anyway, the conference went really well and was really motivating; for me it felt like a sort of missionary recharge. President and Sister Adams both spoke and emphasized working hard, following the rules no matter what, and working with members. Elder and Sister Cook then talked about effective planning and prayer. The meeting was great. Elder Cook is really enthusiastic about the work and was super excited to be in La Réunion. The meeting also included a lunch prepared by one of our Senior couple missionaries, Sister Heap, which was delicious. It's nice to get a break from Creole food every once in awhile. After the meeting I was blessed to be able to have an interview with President Adams. The interview went great and meant a lot to me because the President is so busy with all of the travel and Church Administrative work that is required with his position. He made an immediate effort during the interview to get to know me as a person. He asked about my family, my interests, and my background and payed close attention as I told about myself. After that we talked about the changes that need to be made on La Réunion and what I can do personally to help. I hope that I am able to help with the transformation that needs to happen here. The interview was great, and reminded me how blessed I am to have the leadership that I have here. Friday evening there was a fireside for all of the members and investigators in La Réunion. President Adams and Elder Cook spoke about Pride and Humility, which are two things that we could all work on, but that are especially big problems here. The adresses were very well done, and listening to Elder Cook speak was really good French practice for me because of the direct English to French translation that was needed. The translator, one of the members from St. Marie, was very talented and made me want to speak French really bad. My French is improving, but it needs to improve faster. The work is going well in St. Pièrre. We are doing so much member and less-active work that there is little time left to find new investigators, which can be a little frustrating at times, but we are working hard. We still are not as productive as I would like to be, but I think that we are improving. Well, that's what I have to say this week. The Church is true, I promise. I love you all and hope that all is well. Carpe Diem Elder Wynn

No comments:

Post a Comment