Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Week 32: Most Tamouls are also Catholic...?

Dear Family and Friends It has been far too long since I have sent out a good email. I will do my best during this email to update you about how I am doing here in St. André with Elder Bedwell. I will start by sharing a few things about St. André. St. André is about four times as rainy as St. Pierre, which also means that it is very green. The East side of the island is beautiful, which is not to say that the West side isn't, but rather that the two sides are very different. As I mentioned in a past email, there are a large amount of Tamouls here in St. André. Tamoulism is a branch of Hinduism. I have found during the last few weeks that a very large portion of these people are both Tamoul and Catholic. We've been trying to find out exactly how those two religions work together, but so far have been unsuccessful. The people here are generally polite and happy, but struggle to understand what truth is. We are pressing on with them and are confident that there are good things in the future for the St. André group. Elder Bedwell reminds me of my cousin, Nathan Glenn. He's a great missionary, and we are having a lot of fun. He's seen the missionary work in Madagascar, so his advice and experience are a good learning opportunity for me. We are quickly moving forward with Safia, an investigator that we found about two weeks ago. Safia is Malagasy, and teaching her is unike any other teaching experience that I have seen on my mission so far. We teach her in French, but Elder Bedwell likes to throw a few malagasy words into the lessons when he gets the chance. Thanks to Elder Bedwell, I have learned a small amount of malagasy and sometimes understand a word here and there. I will try to get a picture with Safia to send in a future email. She bought a dress for Church this week but was unable to come. We hope to see her next week for Conference. I am really looking forward to Conference. Thank you for not sending me any spoilers. I know that we have a living prophet today and that he is the tool through which Jesus Christ himself leads His church. I am very grateful for the knowledge that I have of the existence of a modern prophet. I see the blessings that this knowledge has brought me and my family, and the blessings that it will bring to anyone that will accept the Gospel. I don't think I was ever excited enough for Conference before the mission. I hope that you don't take it for granted. I love you all and wish you all the best this week. LAUS DEO Elder Wynn

No comments:

Post a Comment