Monday, April 28, 2014

TRANSFER: Island hop to Mauritius...."I feel like I moved to India".

This is Elder Wynn's new area for the next month. Go to Google images, Mauritius, for more pics of this island.
I safely made it to Mauritius! It turns out Mauritius isn't really like La Réunion at all, so I have lots of learning and adjusting to do, but Elder Choi and I are having a blast so far and the work is going pretty well. I think I will start by listing facts and answers to your questions about Mauritius and my leaving La Réunion, rather than trying to fit all of my thoughts into paragraphs, which would take too long. My companion is Elder Choi, you are all familiar with Elder Choi. He's from Korea. Elder Zimmerman's companion on La Réunion, and the new Zone Leader is Elder Wiberg. The senior couple here is Elder and Sister Conrad, they're a great couple and we had the opportunity to teach with them twice this week, which was a lot of fun. Sister Conrad also made us lunch one day, and since Mauritians don't eat a lot of beef, because of their religion, it's as cheap as chicken and we had filet mignon. We drive on the British side of the road. I'm still adjusting. Driving itself is not too hard, but my brain switched directions, so when Elder Choi tells me to turn left, I often turn right. I also feel like I'm driving in India, because the roads are small. There are two branches and one group over here. During my stay, I will attend the Flacq group once, the Phoenix branch twice, and the Rose Hill branch once. We attended Flacq this last weekend. There were 21 people in assistance, 4 investigators, and most of church was in Mauritian Créole. The créole here is completely different. I understand pretty well, but I have a real hard time responding for now. The people also speak a lot more créole than the people do in La Réunion. In La Réunion, most people speak good French, some people and areas not as well as others, but just about everyone understands French well. La Réunion's créole is also much closer to actual French than most other Créoles. Here in Mauritius, créole is definitely their first language, and then most people speak understandable French and English, but we try to speak Créole as much as we can with the Mauritians. It's been really cool to come over and see Elder Choi speaking another language that he didn't speak four months ago. Here's a few comparisons of Créole Réunionais and Créole Mauricien: R: Komo i lé? M: Ki manière? E: How are you? R: Mi sa va légliz M: Mo pé all légliz E: I'm going to church R: Oussa mi guiyn trouve un boutik? M: Kotsa mo kapav trouvé ène tobagie? E: Where can I find a store? There are little stores on most corners called tobagies, and among the people we taught this week were people named Pooja, Deepa, and Divya. I feel like I moved to India. Anyway, I'm having a lot of fun and am learning new things. The members I have met so far have been very nice, it's a little sad to think that my stay here will be so short. Living conditions are good, we live in a house and have a guava tree in our yard. We don't, however, drink the water without filtering it first. I didn't get sick, but I did drink the water at the Phoenix chapel my first day here and my throat burned for a while afterward. It is weird, and a little unreal, to not be in La Réunion, and I do miss it already, luckily, I'll get to go back one more time before I really say goodbye. I love you all and hope you have a great week! Elder Wynn

No comments:

Post a Comment