Monday, May 5, 2014

Week 2 on Mauritius

Well, I've had another good week here in Mauritius, life is good. Time is starting to get a little bit weird--sometimes it feels like I've got years of mission ahead of me and only minutes of mission behind me, but I'm doing great and Mauritius is treating me well. We have a lot more teaching opportunities over here, which has been a lot of fun. It's great to see investigators on their way to being baptized in the not-too-distant future. The Créole is definitely different, and I often slip into French when I'm having a hard time expressing myself in Mauritian. Let's see, I spent a lot of time with the Phoenix branch this week, and I am starting to feel like I know some members here, which is really nice. We went with the Phoenix branch on Thursday for a branch activity in the mountains, and two of our new Nigerian investigators came with the branch. Thursday was Labor Day. These two Nigerians were first drawn to our church because there are a lot of English-speakers in the Phoenix congregation, and they don't speak any French of Créole. They'll be living in Mauritius for the next three years, while they complete their studies, and apparently there are several hundred of them that are here, which could turn out to be a big blessing because they seem really receptive. The Phoenix branch also did an open house for the government this week, to try to improve the government's opinion of the church. The open house was on Saturday and we spent most of our morning and afternoon setting up and waiting for people to arrive, unfortunately, no one in the government showed up. The bright side is that I got to know the members a lot better and there was one person that did show up, a friend of the branch president's wife, and apparently there is some future potential there. Attending the Phoenix branch is a really interesting experience. About half of the branch is made up of non-French-speaking South Africans, whose English sounds like something off of an adventure movie, and I can't help but smile when I hear them talk. The other half of the branch is Créole, but almost all of them speak English. Sacrament meeting was conducted in English, but we sang in French, and about half the testimonies were in French. There's also a family from Utah in the branch. Brother Steele, from Orem, is here with his wife and youngest son on Sabbatical at University of Mauritius. He is a professor at BYU. They invited us over earlier this week, and I couldn't get over how Utahn they are! I didn't realize how different people from Utah are until I left Utah, but eating dinner with them was like going home. Sister Steele called herself a 'ding-dong' when she forgot to take the banana bread out of the pan. By the way, I've learned on my mission that we use a lot of phrases and words in Utah that English-speakers from out of Utah don't understand. 'Ding-dong' is one of them. I think that's about all I have to say for this week! I've been taking pictures, and I think you'll really like some of them, but I think I will wait a few weeks to show them to you, uploading pictures isn't this computer's forte. I hope you all have a great week! Keep up all the good that each of you does. Also, send my congratulations to Matt, Jamie, and Kinley Glenn. CD, EW

No comments:

Post a Comment